One of my favorite series of movies is ROCKY. I love everyone of the movies and have passed that love to the rest of my family and especially my daughters. “Eye Of The Tiger – Girls – Eye OF The Tiger!” I think one of the reasons that so many of us love the Rocky movies is because it is the story of resilience, the ability to get knocked down, get back up and keep on going, no matter what.
Live your life long enough and you are going to get knocked down, but you can’t stay down, because that would not be much of a life would it? As I look back on my life, I have to admit, I have been down many times, but I never stay down, because some how, some where inside of me, my Creator placed a beautiful gift called resilience.
Resilience is about adapting, improvising and learning to overcome. Challenge is a natural part of life that becomes a problem for us, when we resist it. Rather than resisting challenge, we need to learn to embrace it. When we embrace challenge, we learn and grow from it.
At the end of the day, there are only a few things that really matter. Are you thriving or surviving, because God created us to thrive? Are you allowing the love to flow by receiving and sharing love? Are you learning and growing, because this life is all about getting ready for eternity? Are you laughing and enjoying the journey, because life really is a precious gift? We need to get it right, because we all have family, friends, neighbors, co-workers and even strangers that are looking to us for blessing, direction and hope.
Here Are Seven Steps To Living A Life Of Resilience:
1. RELAX! We really do need to learn to chill. I’m not saying that we should not take life seriously, but we don’t need to take ourselves too seriously. Chill out! Take a moment to breathe in, hold it, now breathe out! See, it’s not a big deal after all. I’ve got some very encouraging news for you: The success or failure of this world is not dependent upon you!
2. CHECK YOUR THINKING! There are so many different things that impact our thinking and if we are not careful, we will allow the wrong things, which will lead to stinking thinking. We need to continually check our thinking, where it’s coming from and where it’s going. If our thinking if not right, then we need to fix it.
3. LEARN FROM MISTAKES AND FAILURES! I’ve got some really good news for you. No one expects you to be perfect and if anyone does expect you to be perfect, then they are revealing their imperfection with such an unrealistic expectation. I have always said that if we will learn from a mistake, sin or failure, then it wasn’t a waste, it was an education and people pay big money for an education.
4. REMEMBER YOU HAVE THE POWER TO CHOOSE! You cannot choose for anyone else and no one else can choose for you, but you do have this amazing ability to choose for yourself, what you are going to believe and how you are going to react. Choose wisely!
5. PRACTICE FLEXIBILITY! There is a Japanese Proverb that says: “The bamboo that bends is stronger than the oak that resists.” We have to be flexible in this human experience if our Spirit is going to grow us into what we are called and created to be.
6. SET GOALS! Everyday is an opportunity to experience new and amazing things, but most of us miss the divine, because we allow ourselves to be distracted by stuff that really does not matter in the grand scheme of life. Take a look at your spiritual, mental and physical life and focus on becoming all that you were created to be.
7. GROW YOURSELF! Stop worrying about fixing everybody and everything else and make sure that you are the very best you that you can be, because at the end of the day, if we can get this right, then the promise is that God will take care of the rest.